A fall can have a massive impact on your life, and the lives of loved ones. Falls result in only minor injuries, however more serious consequences can occur. Falls don’t just affect the physical, they also affect the mental state of mind. After someone has fallen, it can result in a prolonged fear of falling, lack of confidence and possibly a reduced quality of life.
Whilst a lot of people accept this as a normal part of life, having a fall is not always random events and may be predicted by assessing a number of risk factors. Balance can be improved with physiotherapy and exercise physiology by focusing on improving lower limb strength, ankle stability, challenging your body systems that control your balance.
Strengthening exercises can reduce your risk of falls and PhysiEx Balance is individually tailored to get you moving, improve your balance, reduce the likelihood of fractures and most importantly giving you the confidence to do the things you love.
PhysiEx Balance is designed to:
- Increase self-confidence, mobility and independence
- Optimize coordination and balance
- Improve posture
- Reduce overall falls risk
What should I do?
- If you are new to exercise or have a major health condition, you should first consult your doctor. For a small number of people, there may be a medical reason for their falls that can require investigation.
- Consult a Physiotherapist or Exercise Physiologist! At our clinic, the therapist will perform an assessment prior to designing your exercise program. Your assessment will include measurement of balance, muscle strength and mobility and will use outcome measures that can be reassessed at various intervals, to check your progress.
- Exercises can be performed at home or in a group (although a combination of both is most effective). Ask about our balance classes. They are small, closely supervised classes that aim to lower your falls risk and as a bonus, they are social and lots of fun!
- Wednesday: 2.30pm – 3.30pm
Class fee: $24 per session. May be claimed through eligible health funds. Please call us on (07) 5495 3255 to book a class or leave your contact details below.